Q. Will I gain weight if I stop smoking?
Not everyone gains weight when they stop smoking.
On average, people who quit smoking gain only about 10 pounds.
You are more likely to gain weight when you stop smoking if you have smoked for 10 to 20 years or smoked one or more packs of cigarettes a day.
You can control your weight while you quit smoking by making healthy eating and physical activity a part of your life.
Although you might gain a few pounds, remember you have stopped smoking and taken a big step toward a healthier life.
After You Stop Smoking
Once you quit smoking, you must learn how to handle cravings for cigarettes and food. Interestingly, most cravings only last about 5 minutes.
1. Reduce tension with regular exercise. Taking regular exercise is one of the best ways to feel good, stabilize your appetite and control your weight.
2. Snack on fruit or sugarless gum to satisfy any sweet cravings.
3. Drink less caffeine. Try to avoid soft drinks that contain caffeine, such as sodas. Nicotine withdrawal makes you jittery and nervous, and the caffeine increases this nervous tension.
4. Get a regular 8 hours sleep. When you feel tired, you are more likely to crave cigarettes and food.
5. Seek support and encouragement. Join a support group or find a fellow-quitter for mutual support.
6. For many people, nicotine gum or a nicotine patch, along with improved eating habits and physical activity, has been shown to delay weight gain after quitting.
7. Do not worry about putting on weight after quitting. Some weight gain is a normal result of the nicotine leaving your body.
8. Remind yourself that quitting smoking is the single most important step towards better health. Being 10 pounds overweight is a small price to pay for this improved health!
A Brilliant Diet for When You Quit Smoking
For an easy diet to help reduce weight gain after you stop smoking, choose this Weight Loss Program. Packed with advice on exercise, nutrition and diet motivation. "Brilliant!"
More Weight Loss Questions
to Lose Weight
Artificial Sweetners Help Weight Loss?
Does Weight Loss Slow Down?
© 2000-2014 Anne Collins - All rights reserved.